Re: Patches !!!!

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2002 17:09:24 -0700

In article <Lscb9.9850$xc2.1070284_at_news0.telusplanet.net>, "Terry says...

>Uh, patches that break your system perhaps? Yes, I've had a few Solaris
>patches that caused us tons of grief.
>Patching for patching sake is not wise.

THat's obviously not a problem you've run into with Oracle patches! ;)

Seriously, I totally agree with you. "Install a patch because you need it" seems like a sensible mantra to me.

Pete

>--
>Terry Dykstra
>Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
>> Rahul wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > I am trying to install oracle 8.1.7.2 on Solaris 8 ( intel )...Do i
>> > need any patches or it should be ok w/o them..
>> >
>> > Thanks..
>> > Rahul M.
>>
>> You will likely be fine. But that is hardly adequate criteria. You
>> should definitely get the latest patches.
>>
>> I keep wondering why anyone would ask a question like this. To what
>> possible end could someone want to not have the most recent patch set? A
>> desire to have bugs? A desire to have poorer performance? A desire to
>> not fix security holes? Why?
>>
>> Rant over .... GET THE PATCHES!
>>
>> Daniel Morgan

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Aug 28 2002 - 19:09:24 CDT