Re: Patches !!!!

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:00:39 +0400

But how do you reliably determine if you need a patch? Proactively installing patches to prevent problems looks better than reactively patch bugs that already popped up and did some damage to your system (but in this case you can be absolutely certain you need the patch, and that's about the only case. For me,

a better mantra would be 'always install the latest patches on your testbed first
and verify that they didn't break anything, then install them on production and
watch it closely. And don't forget to backup before you change anything.' I do
not like 'If it ain't broken, don't fix it' mantra when it comes to critical patches - it will be way more expensive to recover from successul hack that succeed because you didn't install some critical patch than it will be to recover from a patch that broke something that was working before (especially if you first installed it on your test box).

My $0.02.