Re: Oracle 7 -> Oracle 8 + 8th bit problem and NLS_LANG

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:21:35 -0400

Hi,

I'm just making a guess out here. I can only think of the following solution. * I guess you do have proper Big5 character data in an us7ascii charset database.

   The way they might have gone in there unaltered is when you had specified    nls_lang as american_america.us7ascii. This way if client and server charset is the same,    oracle did not do any conversion while putting that data in. * The question is, what charset is that data in (or originally was). I'm assuming that

   the original charset was zht16big5 (If not then you would need to find that out)

Sorry ... I couldn't be of more help.

Anurag