Yet Another Linux RAC Question

From: Stephen Wong <wongyw_at_bii-sg.org>
Date: 28 Aug 2002 05:24:53 -0700

Call me a cheapskate if you will, but I am trying to implement a 2-node Linux RAC cluster. I read the Oracle pages on Linux RAC and I spoke with my friendly Oracle sales reps and they all seem to insist that I get one of those certified packages from HPaq or Dell - something I am hoping I don't have to do.

As far as I am aware, Linux RAC requires no special hardware or software. I have also read the IBM Redbook on Linux RAC installation and did not find anything unusual as far as the OS is concerned. (Whether it's Redhat or SUSE makes little difference to me.)

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that all I need to do is to get 2 OEM systems along with the necessary FC adapters, switches and storage and I am ready to go. Other than possibly a heartbeat monitor between the 2 nodes, am I missing something?

Thanks.

Stephen Wong
Systems Manager
Bioinformatics Institute