Help! ORA-01658 on import, and with plenty of space

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:36:45 +0100

Hi Pedro,

Please stop calling me 'Mr Dunbar' - I'm Norman. Thanks :o) (Hey, we're all friends here remember !)

Next up, the reason for slower responses is probably because you followed my suggestions !
When you removed the storage parameters from the script and pre-created the tables, the tablespace defaults will have been used. If these are quite small, and some of the tables quite large, then you will end up with a lot of 'dynamic extension' going on as new extents are added to tables and indexes as the import progresses.

Dynamic extensions are expensive operations and will slow things down - especially if the database in question has other schemas and they are being used. There is only a single space managemnt lock (I forget the exact name !) and every user adding or deleting extents has to queue up for it !

So if you are importing a 20 Gb table into a tablespace with INITIAL=NEXT=1024 KB, you'll need to dynamically extend the table 20,971,519 times.

It's all down to setting correct default storage on your tablespaces and having more than 1 tablespace for data. There is a white paper about setting up tablespaces for different sized objects at this URL:

http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/defrag.pdf

Which will/should help enormously !

Cheers,
Norman.