Re: Cloning DB to different UNIX platform

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:09:15 +0200

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:57:57 +0200, Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote:

>Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>

>>No, this won't work. Don't bother trying.
>
>OK, thanks for the clear answer.
>

>>>Of course, I also could go through export/import, but this is not
>>>adequate to "copy" a complete DB, and it is prone to errors.
>>
>>This is the easiest way to move from one platform to another. I don't know why
>>you say it's not adequate and is prone to errors, though. It's the way that
>>we've used to move databases from one platform to another for years. Can you
>>clarify what problems you see here?
>
>The full export can only be done as SYS. Importing such a dump file in
>one step would render everything in the SYSTEM Tablespace - bad. Doing
>import one schema at a time would avoid this problem, but requires
>more work, since users, profiles, privileges and roles should be
>created beforehand - prone to errors.
>
>Even doing the export with the appropriate option, statistics must be
>generated in an additional step after the import. Besides,
>export/import gives you at times some headaches with character sets,
>index names, constraints, triggers...
>
>Well, it CAN be done, but, as I said, prone to errors.
>
>Bye
>Rick

>The full export can only be done as SYS
Not true. Any user with exp_full_database can do that

Importing such a dump file in
>one step would render everything in the SYSTEM Tablespace - bad

Again: Not true. Importing such a dump file would create the tablespaces, so it would NOT render everything in the SYSTEM tablespace

Doing
>import one schema at a time would avoid this problem, but requires
>more work, since users, profiles, privileges and roles should be
>created beforehand - prone to errors.

Nonsense. There is no need to import one schema at a time.

>Even doing the export with the appropriate option, statistics must be
>generated in an additional step after the import. Besides,
>export/import gives you at times some headaches with character sets,
>index names, constraints, triggers...

Statistics will be generated by imp when directed too Problems with character sets can be prevented by setting an appropiate NLS_LANG. Please read the Oracle Server Utilities Manual. Right now you only have heard the bell sound, but you really don't know what you are talking about.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Aug 18 2002 - 15:09:15 CDT