Cheap RAID system recommendation?

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:46:49 +0200

Hello *.admin

We are using a Sun's StorEdge A1000 in a Sun E3500 which happens to be extremely stow. Before we realized that it was so slow, we planned to buy a second one, but now we are looking for a different Raid system. The problem is that due to administrative reasons, we are not allowed to spend more money than it was once planned. So we are looking for an alternative that won't be more expensive that about 30 000 US$.

This is what we need:

This is a quite modest system I think. Be aware that a very fast system could even be inappropriate for this old fashioned machine (4 SPARC 2 CPUs at 400 MHz), but of course, latency can never be small enough for scattered I/O operations.

Would you recommend any specific modell for the mentioned machine? Dell? IBM? HP?

Comments about your experience with different models are also welcome.

Thanks

Rick

PS: By the way, nowadays some disks are so fast, that they can almost reach a sustained transfer rate of 70 MB/s in single mode! Received on Sun Aug 18 2002 - 12:46:49 CDT