Re: Cheap RAID system recommendation?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 19 Aug 2002 17:21:19 -0700

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:<i9nvlu0o21r7eo9fdrmqqojlks4sml7eqv_at_4ax.com>...

> - sustained transfer rate > 70 MB/s (not on paper, but *measurable*)

I hope you mean "sustained aggregate" tranfer rate. Because no single disk/controller combination will do this yet. Not SCSI anyway. Fibre channel maybe.

> This is a quite modest system I think. Be aware that a very fast
> system could even be inappropriate for this old fashioned machine (4
> SPARC 2 CPUs at 400 MHz), but of course, latency can never be small
> enough for scattered I/O operations.

I'm worried about this. You mention transfer speed and latency, but no seek requirements (!). Is this gonna be ad-hoc disk query stuff? Or write only? Batch? OLTP? Or what?

> Would you recommend any specific modell for the mentioned machine?
> Dell? IBM? HP?

IBM has some neat I/O systems and the price might be good if it is a competitive situation...

> Comments about your experience with different models are also welcome.

EMC is what I know well, but they are expen$ive!!!

> PS: By the way, nowadays some disks are so fast, that they can almost
> reach a sustained transfer rate of 70 MB/s in single mode!

Nope. Not SCSI. You'll be very lucky if you hit 50 and it won't be sustained...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au Received on Mon Aug 19 2002 - 19:21:19 CDT