Monitoring parallelism

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:05:32 +0200

Hello

I switched on parallel query by setting the init parameter PARALLEL_AUTOMATIC_TUNING=true and restarting the DB. Additionally, I set the max. number of parallel servers to 40 and the number of threads per CPU to 6.

I haven't noticed any significant change in performance. How can I somehow see that parallelism is active at all? I understand that parallel query does not always result in a performance increase, but I am not sure that there is any parallelism at all. (Using Oracle 8.1.7/Solaris 2.7 on a Sun E3500 with 4 CPUs). If any long running job starts, it sticks to one CPU so the overall CPU usage never goes over 25%. I assume that if parallelism of any kind would be in effect, at least for some short periods of time the job would show a CPU usage above 25%. Most of the time, when only one job runs, the other 3 CPUs are sitting there doing almost nothing.

Any sugestions?

Thanks

Rick Received on Sun Aug 18 2002 - 12:05:32 CDT