Problems with Views?

From: Vince <vinnyop_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2002 08:06:46 -0700

We use views to simplify front-end development (using a persistence tool - TopLink). As we are getting closer to actual devivery, I am getting concerned about the performance of such an approach. The following is an example of a query executed using such a view (we don't inline the view as shown below):

SELECT state, COUNT(*), sum(dollars)
FROM (

Does this query first build the results of the view before the outer statement? Or will the outer select's where clause be incorproated into the inner (view)?

I realize it would be better to construct the query without the view, but we are using the underlying view to provide semi-customizable reporting where the outer select is dynamic (but limited to the group by columns within the view). I am just wondering how bad it is.

Thanks in advance, Vince Received on Fri Aug 16 2002 - 10:06:46 CDT