Re: is it really true that db2 is overtaking oracle ?

From: D.Y. <dyou98_at_aol.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 19:42:09 -0700

Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_ureach.com> wrote in message news:<3D5A0802.6CEBDE7_at_ureach.com>...
> IMO, a technically better system is not necessarily the one dominating
> on the market.
> Besides, to technically compare two systems you need to be proficient in
> both, which
> is rare. Some say DB2 is better, some say Oracle. All have their
> reasoning.
>
> db2 is used in many large applications and it will take a lot of time
> for them budget
> and justify a switch to Oracle, if they decide to do it at all.
> Conversely, Oracle customers
> will probably stick to Oracle.
>
> Not very relevant but funny: the largest database in the world is not
> managed by Oracle
> or DB2. It's Objectivity/DB! It's for SLAC, size 650T. Interesting,
> isn't it

SLAC? Now we are talking about science:) Considering how much data their detectors have to collect to map out the trajectories of those fine particles, it's interesting but hardly surprising that they have databases of that size. You can bet that Fermi, Argonne, or Lawrence Livermore have something similar. Too bad they didn't choose Oracle. But then, of course, Objectivity is the better choice.

Speaking of Oracle vs DB2, I'll have to believe Oracle is here to stay. If history is any indication, IBM will find a way to give away their market share. If they don't, we'll need to start learning DB2.