Re: is it really true that db2 is overtaking oracle ?

From: Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_ureach.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:34:58 GMT

IMO, a technically better system is not necessarily the one dominating on the market.
Besides, to technically compare two systems you need to be proficient in both, which
is rare. Some say DB2 is better, some say Oracle. All have their reasoning.

db2 is used in many large applications and it will take a lot of time for them budget
and justify a switch to Oracle, if they decide to do it at all. Conversely, Oracle customers
will probably stick to Oracle.

Not very relevant but funny: the largest database in the world is not managed by Oracle
or DB2. It's Objectivity/DB! It's for SLAC, size 650T. Interesting, isn't it