Large SGA on Linux

From: Ruben Puettmann <ruben_at_puettmann.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:16:23 +0200

                Hello,

I was searching for a Way to use large SGA on Linux i386. Now I have found a way to use the hole memory.

There was some documentation from Oracle you can found it on my ftp server:

ftp://ftp.puettmann.net/pub/oracle/1_linuxVM_v2_accepted.pdf ftp://ftp.puettmann.net/pub/oracle/9iR2-on-Linux-Tech-WP-Final.PDF

I seems so that it only works on the Red Hat Advance Server distribution, cause they use some special kernel patches.

But I have found a way for runnig it on nearly all linux distribution:

  1. you need an -aa Kernel
    ( ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/ )
  2. you need libaio
    (http://www.kvack.org/~blah/aio/)
  3. the aio glibc Patch you can extract it from the src rpms on http://www.kvack.org/~blah/aio/glibc/

Im testing it in the moment on an Compaq ML570 wicth 16 GB RAM quad Xeon with Debian Woody. It looks good but it runs now since 24 hours.

                Ruben