Re: Question about partitioning...

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:02:19 +1000

Hi Andy,

If you commonly join these tables together to get information over a period of months, then partitioning would be beneficial. You effectively have a partitioned table, only Oracle doesn't know about it. You them simplify your maintenance operations, simplify your queries, provide the optimizer with valuable additional information, simplify parallel operations, etc.

And you can very quickly create a partitioned table by exchanging all these tables into an empty partitioned structure.

One notable disadvantage though is it will cost you more :(

Cheers

Richard