Re: Oracle 8.0.6.2 MTS configuration..need help?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:41:32 +1000

There aren't any really good metrics on tuning the large pool, unfortunately.

The approach I've used in the past is: guess. Stick it to about 10M to start with, and then have a look, and start tuning.

Tuning consists of seeing whether vast swathes of your initial 10M are sitting there doing nothin (in which case, you can make it smaller), or seeing whether you get 'unable to0 allocate memory' errors (in which case, make it bigger). To test for wasted space, do select * from v$sgastat where pool='large pool';. There's a 'free memory' statistic there, which shouldn't be too big.

There is an alternative: if you set the init.ora parameter PARALLEL_AUTOMATIC_TUNING=TRUE, you get a large pool automatically allocated -and Oracle works out what size it should be. I haven't tested how *good* its calculations are, though, so I have no idea whether this is truly a magic fix, or a disaster in waiting. I've heard good reports about it, though -and have NOT heard bad ones.

If you set PARALLEL_AUTOMATIC_TUNING=TRUE, obviously don't set your own value for large_pool_size, as that is likely to cause confusion (to yourself or your colleagues down the track, if not to Oracle itself!).

Regards