Re: Will Oracle 9i let me connect using jdbc right "out of the box"

From: Sébastien Libert <slibert_at_skynet.be>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:38:35 +0200

Hi !

I agree wih Niall. I've tried, years ago (!), Oracle 7 PE and spent days before I find an article explaining that Personal Edition has a limited network stack.
So no easy JDBC.
I do not know if it has change with version 9.

But please, post errors you're getting. I will be easier to see what can go wrong.

HTH
Sébastien.

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> a écrit dans le message news: 3d5501d6$0$233$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> I'm not sure about the fact that you have personal edition. I'd expect
that
> to support JDBC but it might not. For this and other reasons I'd be sorely
> tempted to uninstall oracle and install the enterprise edition.
>
> If you do have enterprise or std edition installed JDBC definitely works
> 'out of the box'. It shouldn't be necessary to use a JDBC-ODBC bridge
> either - i.e. you should be able to connect directly using jdbc onbce you
> have oracle installed and you can communicate using sqlplus.
>
> If you still have problems come back with the error message and folk may
be
> better able to help you.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> Please include version and platform
> and SQL where applicable
> It makes life easier and increases the
> likelihood of a good answer

> "Simon Harvey" <noThanks_at_pdf.com> wrote in message
> > I'm guessing that when you started out with oracle there wasnt such a
> > complete oversturation of material on the subject. I purchased about 5
> > books, spent hours trawling the oracle site and even more time trawling
> > countless obscure websites and not one of them has provided the answer
> > that question in a way that is simple and easy to understand. All the
> > articles etc that I have read deal with how to use jdbc after you have
it
> > working and not how to understand why it isnt working and what to do
> should
> > this misfortune become you. The only reason I posted to 4 (hardly every
> > group imaginable) is because I really needed help by today. It's for a
Uni
> > project.
> >

> > > Oracle comes with jdbc drivers and documentation is online at
> > > http://otn.oracle.com
> > > Instead of crossposting to every imagineable group please try to
verify
> > what
> > > you have installed by running the Oracle installer and use other
Oracle