Re: Sorting works incorretly on Client

From: Tweetie Pooh <tp601553_at_cia.gov>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:58:34 GMT

"Jakob Blomer" <jakob_at_blomer.de> honoured comp.databases.oracle.server on Mon 05 Aug 2002 09:03:15p with news:aimp6j$gq0$03$1_at_news.t-online.com:

> Hi,
> I've a problem with our Oracle 8i developer system: If I sort a table (ca.
> 60000 rows, indexed) on a Client mashine oracle sorts
> 1. Wrong order
> 2. It takes forever (about 15 seconds)
> I found a workaround only for the first problem: alter session set
> nls_sort=binary;
> I tried sorting on the server mashine and everything works fine. On the
> production system in our customer's company everything works fine on both,
> the client and the server.
> I checked the Net8 configuration and couldn't find anything bad configured.
> The configuration is almost the same as on the server.
> We have an 100MBit switched network, all other network operations are ok.
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions,
> Jakob

Let the server do the sort.

Not sure what client you are using but one of the programmes we use will sometimes do some sorting in the client and can get it wrong. Why? Because things like dates need special sorting and it just does an alphabetic sort.

If this is your problem one way is to format the data so that an alpha sort will give the correct order. Use ANSI type dates YYYY/MM/DD hh24:mi:ss. Received on Tue Aug 06 2002 - 04:58:34 CDT