Re: to Raise or not to Raise, this is the question...

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:03:41 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D4D32FC.8DB54ECE_at_exesolutions.com...
> FC wrote:
>
> > Hello there!
> > Is there any way to pass a "parameter" to the Oracle error message
handler?
> > I've seen there are several error messages returning a composite message
> > that is clearly made up of fixed text plus the <string> parameter, like
> > "ORA-22285 non-existent directory or file for <string> operation".
> >
> > The only way to mimic internal parameterized messages is using
> > Raise_application_error as far as I know.
> >
> > What if I want to raise the same error passing a value to <string> via a
> > standard Raise statement ?
> >
> > Did I miss something in the docs ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Flavio
>
> I'm not sure what it is you are actually asking. So hazarding a guess look
at
> PRAGMA EXCEPTION_INIT.
>
> Daniel Morgan

PRAGMA EXCEPTION_INIT doesn't allow me to pass the parameter I was referring to, but just to assign an internal oracle error to a user defined exception definition.
I was referring to the ability of including variable text such as a file name inside the body of a standard oracle error message.

Bye,
Flavio Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 17:03:41 CDT