Re: no listener,who can help me?

From: Jason Baugher <jason_at_baugher.pike.il.us>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:54:17 GMT

Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net> wrote in news:aifv9s$1436om$1_at_ID-82084.news.dfncis.de:

> On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 05:40:56 -0400, charlie wrote:
>

>> I am fixing a web server on internet.The security of website is
>> important for it.So I restrict some accessable Ip addresses.The web
>> cann't run ,because of no listener. I checked before my done,the
>> ports 1521,1035 and 2481 were open.If I open all address,the web can
>> run. By the way ,my OS is win2000 server,DB is oracle v.8.1.7. why so
>> it? please give me some ideas.thank you very much.
>
> I'm listening. Are you getting any errors?  Are you getting any error
> messages?

A typical problem with people who are new to firewalls is that they restrict ALL ports inbound and outbound, then they open up a few inbound. Problem is that connections are 2-way. Machine A initiates a connection to machine B on a specific port and machine B connects back on a nonsecure  port.

If machine A needs to open a connection to a database on machine B, and that database is on port 1521, the firewall between A and B should allow packets on port 1521 to go from A to B, and also allow ALL packets on ports 1024 and above to go from B to A.

--
Jason Baugher
Virtual Adept Professional Consulting Services