Re: Using two different character sets in one database

From: Anurag <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:50:48 -0400

"Eric Menzel" <oracle8_at_firemail.de> wrote in message news:58d6a85c.0207292312.6f3ee876_at_posting.google.com...
> > > In the above situation, when a
> > > client inserts WE8MSWIN1252 data reading it with UTF8 shows garbage.
> >
> > Did the client have the proper NLS_LANG env setting enabled when he put this data?
>
> Yes, that's why I wrote, what character set they use to insert data.
>
> > I would suggest that you read the NLS faq on technet:
> > http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle8i/htdocs/faq_combined.htm
>
> Thank you, but I already did that. I found nothing about how Oracle
> handles character set conversion like WE8ISO8859P1->UTF8. I'll keep
> searching.

Thats the whole point of the article I listed above. Oracle handles the conversion automatically ... or in other words .. based on your NLS_LANG setting. I feel at a loss trying to show you an example (due to varying charactersets) .. however I'll try to explain briefly:

You might see weird/garbage data if you don't follow the above steps. For example: If client data is in UTF8 and he has set NLS_LANG to characterset WE8ISO8859P1 You will see garbage data, since Oracle tried converting data from WE8ISO.. to UTF8 and thus messed it up.
and/or if you have set your NLS_LANG to non-UTF8 .. you might not see that data properly.

Hope this helps,

Anurag