Re: Instance shutdown problem

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2002 10:16:51 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<ai5k3r$182$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> "juha" <salmjuh_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> >

> > I am new with oracle so please excuse me my stupid question.
> >

> > I'm running oracle server 8.0.4 on windows NT server. I would like to
> > take could backups from the databases. So, to perform this job I need
> > to shutdown the instance. But when I choose shutdown from the GUI the
> > oracle instance manager give a warning:
> >
> > " A stored configuration does not exist. Once shut down, you will be
> > unable to start the remote database unless you have a local copy of
> > the initialazion parameter file.
> >
> > Use Instance Manager to create a stored configuration or obtain a
> > local copy of the initialization parameter file for the remote
> > database"
> >

> > Say what ???
> >

> > What that means ? If I shutdown the instance I can't openit any more
> > ??
>

> You are using a GUI client to issue startup and shutdown instructions to a
> remote database. Shutdowns are fine... not a problem. But if a remote client
> tool is supposed to subsequently startup the Instance, it needs to have a
> copy of the init.ora available to it. Otherwise, how's it supposed to know
> how big the Shared Pool should be, the number of buffers you want, and so
> on?
>
> The problem disappears if you forego the GUI and get stuck in with a command
> line tool (SQL Plus) on the server itself... since that's where the init.ora
> lives, a startup command issued on the server won't have a problem
> describing *how* the instance should be started.
>
> The problem also disappears if you do what the error message said to do: use
> Instance Manager to create a copy of the init.ora on your remote client, so
> that it too won't have a problem describing how to startup the Instance.
>

> > What should I do ?
> >

> I tend to find that actually reading the error messages and carrying out any
> actions it recommends usually fixes most problems. In this case, the error
> message you got couldn't have been more helpful if it had tried:
>
> "Use Instance Manager to create a stored configuration [ie, a copy of the
> init.ora stored on the client] or obtain a local copy of the initialization
> parameter file for the remote database"
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> > Juha
> >
> > p.s. I have to servers and maybe, just maybe, there is some kind
> > replication process between the machines. I do not know.
>
> Irrelevant to your problem.

To add to what Howard mentioned.
1) You can SHUTDOWN/STARTUP an instance without any problems if you are physically are on server console or using pcAnywhere or VNC viewer.

If you want to SHUTDOWN/STARTUP an instance remotely over just a TCP connection then you can do it from SQL*Plus. Connect as INTERNAL/password and issue,

SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE To STARTUP, you would have to provide full path to pfile (For reasons mentioned by Howard) used by your instance. so command would be,

SQL> STARTUP PFILE=\\YourDbServer\Oracle\Ora81\database\initYOURDB.ora

Generally, it is always a good practice to issue STARTUP PFILE=... rather then just issue STARTUP...whether you are physically on the console or not.

I tested above statements from 8.1.7 SQL*Plus on Win2K. Test to see if it works from 8.0.4 in your env. BTW 8.0.4 has been desupported by Oracle...you should upgrade to atleast 8.1.7.4.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Tue Jul 30 2002 - 12:16:51 CDT