Re: Developer responsibilities

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:18:03 +0400

As with any other tool, developers should learn it first, understand how it works and what this means to them. There are good books on Oracle besides the documentation, with Tom Kyte's "expert one on one: Oracle" being among the best and highly recommended, as it is targeted specifically at developers rather than DBAs. For example, the fact that your team is proficient with SQL Server means that they indeed should learn how Oracle works - these two are so different that some key practices considered good for SQL Server only do harm in Oracle. If they don't - you'll see performance problems, scalability problems and odd errors like ORA-01555 in applications they will develop using their SS skills...

As of developers being requesting access to production server - not really a good idea unless they are absolutely certain what they do and will claim all responsibility if anything goes wrong (well, someone has to roll out all those changes and patches anyway, but it better be done in controlled manner, with backup in place, and these changes should be tested and verified elsewhere before being applied to production system...)

My $0.02