Re: Grant create database

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:01:35 +1000

At the end of the day, the only user with the permissions to create a database is SYS.

SYS has that privilege by virtue of having been granted the SYSDBA privilege. You can grant the same privilege to other Users, only if you are using an exclusive password file for privileged user authentication. That User (let's call him Fred) can then connect normally (connect fred/password) or as a privileged user (connect fred/password AS SYSDBA). However, in the latter case, if Fred then does something like 'show user', SQL Plus will return the result "SYS": connecting anybody 'as sysdba' simply re-routes their connection through the SYS schema. Hence my first statement above.

There is another way to acquire the ability to perform privileged actions, of which 'create database' is just one: use Operating System Authentication. That is, on Unix there is a 'dba' group, and on NT an 'ORA_DBA' group. Making a machine user account a member of that O/S group means that said user can do a 'connect / as sysdba', and not be authenticated by the database at all... at which point s/he has the necessary privileges to create a database -though once again, a show user would return the answer 'SYS'. Regards