Re: Oracle WAN performance questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:25:52 +0200

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:56:18 -0700, "Nick Palmer" <nick_at_kcicorp.com> wrote:

>3) Will you get different performance if you use Oracle Names server instead
>of a local TNSNAMES.ORA file, given that SQL*NET/Net8 has to go out and
>resolve the Oracle information from the network and not local ?

Remember the service name resolution comes into play *when connecting only*. If you connect/disconnect all the time you would see impact. Tnsnames.ora is definitely slower. This is because the complete tnsnames.ora is loaded into memory and parsed. When Oracle Names is the resolver, the client only queries the name server. The name server caches data in a binary file on the server. The cache is refreshed from the database at intervals you can configure.

Oracle Names is, BTW, on the way out, and has been replace by Oracle Internet Directory and LDAP in 9i.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 14:25:52 CDT