Oracle WAN performance questions

From: Nick Palmer <nick_at_kcicorp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:56:18 -0700

Hello Group,

I've got a couple of questions that I was hoping somebody in this group might have the expertise to answer.

Our application is encountering a performance problem related to the latency over the WAN. The PING time between the client and the server running Oracle 9i across this WAN is consistently between 40-50ms. There are about 4 or 5 hops between the two sites, with the main pipe being 2 OC3 (155 MBps) connections. TNSPING returns between 100ms-120ms.

Our problem is that every SQL query/statement that our application submits to remote Oracle server takes a hit of 100ms based on our timings. This is a for every call made to Oracle, not just the very first. e.g., if our application makes 500 SQL queries that takes only 15 seconds to run on a local Oracle server, remote server takes additional 50 seconds to run the same set of queries.

Just to add, we are using deferred mode in our code.

Question is:

  1. Why is the Oracle/SQL*Net/Net8 hitting us with 100ms latency, when the actual WAN latency is only 50ms? Can this be improved?
  2. Should TNSPING always take more than double the PING time? If so, why ?
  3. Will you get different performance if you use Oracle Names server instead of a local TNSNAMES.ORA file, given that SQL*NET/Net8 has to go out and resolve the Oracle information from the network and not local ?

Thanks in advance

Nick. Received on Thu Jul 25 2002 - 11:56:18 CDT