Re: system tablespace extents question

From: Andy <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:54:51 +0100

Jan

The second question is answered most easily - the storage clause specified for the tablespace acts a default for all the storage values and the values not specified when creating a table in that tablespace use these defaults. Some values for a table may be specified and the remainder use the defaults or all can default.

With regards to the first question: When you say there are 180 extents in the system tablespace do you mean you have one object with that many extents or do you have 180 extents scattered among all the dictionary objects you have created. If it's the latter you don't really have a problem.

If you do have an object with 180 extents it might well be that a user has created an "application" table in this tablespace with a storage clause that overrides the system tablespace defaults (I say this because the default PCTINCREASE 50 on system tablespace would normaly keep extents managable for all except large tables though these would typically exceed total space in system tablespace (typically a few 100MBs) ).

Use this to identify potentially rogue tables: - select owner, table_name from dba_tables where tablespace_name ='SYSTEM'
and owner not in ('SYS','SYSTEM','OUTLN')

If this turns out to be the case then move the rogue table to that appropriate tablespace.

Andy