Re: IMP: still more problems

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:05:54 +1000

"Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:ahbf1q$rqpti$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de...
> How will you move data across platforms without exp/imp?

The dump file is a binary file. It can't be beyond the wit of man (or woman) to invent a transportable backup set, just as the dump file is transportable. Or a conversion utility. Something, anyway, that would plug that particular gap.

>Can RMAN handle
> that?

No, not at all. But that's now, and I was talking about my guesses about a murky future.

>I am not well versed in RMAN. I thought it was pretty much a datafile
> level backup/restore utility. One of these days when things slow down a
> little I will learn the program more in depth.

I'd recommend that anyway, because RMAN is a brilliant backup and recovery utility, and getting better every release. But don't learn it just yet if all you're after is an export/import replacement. It's not that yet, and it might never be. I'm just guessing.

Regards
HJR