Re: IMP: still more problems

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:29:16 +1000

Hi Howard,

Not so sure.

I think the days of having Export/Import as a backup/recovery strategy are definitely gone (not that I really think those days were really there). I think the incremental/cumulative components were always somewhat dubious in that they apply at the object level (whereas RMAN has always been at the block level - way way more useful). There have also been quite significant improvements with these utilities over the last few releases (transportable tablespaces, tablespace level exports, filesize and multiple files, flashback, resumable, query option (really nice) and I'm sure others).

So I think they here to stay BUT to be used for what they're are designed, which is not to backup and protect the database.

Let's keep these postings for 5 years and see who's right. 10 bucks ?

Richard
"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:ahbb1k$476$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Just my tuppence-worth.
>
> Oracle is on record as saying that cumulative/incremental exports will be
> de-supported in the future, and (from memory only) the reason they gave
was
> that RMAN is the cumulative/incremental guru in these parts.
>
> This is just my wild speculation (usual disclaimers apply) but I don't
> honestly see much of a future for export and import. You've got
> dbms_metadata in 9i for the structural components. You've got logminer for
> transactional replay. You've got other things besides... strikes me that
the
> days of export/import are distinctly numbered.
>
> And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if one of the factors in that
> turned out to be exactly what you're saying: so much is happening in the
> database that it gets harder and harder to update export/import to keep
up.

> Regards
> HJR
>

> "Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message

> > AIX.

> > data
> > 3.)
> > the