Re: Absolute beginner ORA-12543

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:37:10 +0200

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:43:40 +0100, Johny Tom Nishanth Alphonse <jta01_at_doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I hope you can help me with this. I have installed oracle on mandrake
>8.2 on my laptop for learning purposes. I switch my laptop between
>office and home so have to change the IP address of the laptop
>frequently. At home
>it is 192.168.0.2. So, I have a proxy server set up at home. At office,
>I configure mandrake to automatically get an IP address using DHCP and
>reboot. I installed oracle when the IP address was 192.168.0.2. Under
>this address everything works fine, even a perl script that connects to
>the database and retrieves rows. When I start oracle at office, sqlplus
>works fine. However, the perl script does not work.
>I get the error, DBI->connect(oradb) failed: ORA-12543: TNS:destination
>host unreachable(DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach) at line 4 in test.pl which
>is the line that connects to the database. I really want to get this
>problem sorted. Any help would be appreciated. An explanation of this
>happens would be great.
>
>cheers,
>Johny Alphonse

Never set up a server on a DHCP address for reasons you just discovered.
In your case
include
127.0.0.1 localhost
in your /etc/hosts file, or whatever file Linux uses and use localhost as your hostname in host=, and you don't have to bother anymore.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 14:37:10 CDT