Absolute beginner ORA-12543

From: Johny Tom Nishanth Alphonse <jta01_at_doc.ic.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:43:40 +0100

Hello all,

I hope you can help me with this. I have installed oracle on mandrake 8.2 on my laptop for learning purposes. I switch my laptop between office and home so have to change the IP address of the laptop frequently. At home
it is 192.168.0.2. So, I have a proxy server set up at home. At office, I configure mandrake to automatically get an IP address using DHCP and reboot. I installed oracle when the IP address was 192.168.0.2. Under this address everything works fine, even a perl script that connects to the database and retrieves rows. When I start oracle at office, sqlplus works fine. However, the perl script does not work. I get the error, DBI->connect(oradb) failed: ORA-12543: TNS:destination host unreachable(DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach) at line 4 in test.pl which is the line that connects to the database. I really want to get this problem sorted. Any help would be appreciated. An explanation of this happens would be great.

cheers,
Johny Alphonse Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 13:43:40 CDT