Re: [Ora-03113] EOF problem..

From: nettdata <nettdata_at_noSpAM_nettdata.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:27:06 GMT

It sounds like memory problems. The database probably can't allocate the appropriate amount of memory when it attempts to start the database, so the database start fails. You will be able to get around it by throwing a LOT of swap space at it and modifying some kernel parameters.

Don't worry, it can be done. I've got a bunch of old PII 600's with 256MB of RAM running various versions of Linux and Oracle, and while they may not be screaming fast (by ANY stretch of the imagination!) they are still quite functional and are used as a RAC testing environment.

Be aware that the default memory settings are quite prohibitive for a machine with limited resources, so some tuning will make a big difference.

Check out this page for more information on some specifics:

http://www.puschitz.com/OracleOnLinux.shtml

...jeff