Re: Dictionary-managed tablespace

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 11:37:17 +1000

In article <3d308905$1_2_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>, you said (and I quote):

> So I've always wondered why there were some people recommending a tablespace
> default of 1 and tables created with same initial and next, and pcti 0, so
> as to 'fool' SMON and force it to try to coalesce periodically anyway. I
> have been assuming for years (without, I admit, having got around to
> testing) that this was yet another of those absurd myths.
>
> Comments, anyone?

Never understood that one. Never made sense, so I never used it! However, I saw plenty of dbs with that set. And yes, it was another "urban myth". I suspect someone said in a meeting or conference that setting pcti to 1 would make SMON "wake up". As these things go, pcti = 1 became a "must be". Sigh...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto