Re: In praise of auto space management

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:46:16 +1000

In article <1026384738.693.0.nnrp-01.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>, you said (and I quote):

> One thought, have you noticed that in a fairly
> recent version of Oracle, (possibly 8.1.7) you
> can modify freelists online without having to
> rebuild the table ?

8.0, I think. Of course it only applies to new blocks, won't do a thing for already existing ones.

One thing: how come FREELISTS > 1 wastes disk space? I thought that was the case only for INITRANS, using up some additional block header space.

By how much? I just changed freelists on quite a large number of tables that get a lot of inserts in one of my RAAF databases. Re-loaded the tables and there was no increase in disk space that I could detect. Did I miss something obvious? 8.1.7, this one.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto