Re: In praise of auto space management

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:08:48 +0100

You've crossed wires on the FREELIST/INITRANS I think. initrans became modifiable in 8.0, I'm pretty sure that freelist wasn't until somewhere in 8.1

More particularly - freelist simply re-balances the number of freelist slots in the segment header (and freelist group blocks) between process free lists and transaction free lists. The comments about old blocks/new blocks are irrelevant.

The reason why it could waste space to have large numbers of free lists is that each free list could request 5 blocks of free space when the master free list was empty - so worst case is that the last (5 x freelists x freelist groups) blocks in the table could contain virtually no data.

If you reload a table (imp, ctas etc) you probably used just one free list, so haven't had a chance to see the effect.

Mind you, on large tables, 5N extra blocks need not be a significant problem, it's just one of those little extras to consider.

There is also the problem that multiple freelist GROUPS, when mixed with big deletes, can result in lots of free blocks in the table, which can only be used by the GROUP that freed it.

And of course, one of the fringe effects of multiple freelists is that it can affect the perceived efficiency of special cases of sequence-based indexes (in pretty much the way I described for ASSM).

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminars
        UK            July / Sept
        Australia      July / August
        Malaysia        September
        USA (MI)        November

<3d2d719e$0$14696$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...