Re: oracle 8i to 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:38:49 +0200

On 10 Jul 2002 08:37:01 -0700, siddharthbahri_at_yahoo.com (Siddharth) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are thinking of shifting from oracle 8i (8.1.6) on linux to oracle
>9i R2 for linux. I want to know if the following problems which i was
>facing in oracle 8i have been solved in 9i:
>
>1. running mts under heavy load - oracle 8i used to crash with mts
>under heavy load on Red Hat Linux 7.2 machine. I had to run in
>dedicated server mode.
>
>2. linux 2GB filesize limit - 8i doesn't support files greater than
>2GB
>
>3. intermedia index on materialized views - when i created intermedia
>indexes on materialized views in oracle 8i the views did not refresh
>
>Please tell me if these bugs are removed from oracle 9i.
>
>Also I want to know if its possible to setup replication between
>oracle 8i and 9i databases ie. tables in 8i and their views in 9i and
>vice versa.
>
>Thanx.
>Siddharth

1 You are way early in calling something a bug. Your concern under 2 is a limitation of the O/S. Also you should think if you even want files bigger than 2 G, due to manageabilities.

2 'Bugs' being addressed and new features being provided are in release notes and new features documents. Hence they are easily accessible on Oracle driven sites. Please don't ask others to read those sites for you.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Jul 10 2002 - 12:38:49 CDT