In praise of auto space management

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 17:31:01 +0100 (BST)

Given my repeated denouncements of UNDO tablespaces here recently, I thought that I should balance this by singing the praises of automatic segment space management.

It's wonderful. Use it. Wave goodbye to headaches of worrying about balancing freelists and freelist groups, ensuring you've enough on all the segments, banging your head against a wall as you discover you've missed freelist groups off a vital but obscure segment.

I've tested up to 96 parallel batch processes on a 32 CPU machine, inserting a sustained rate of well over 10000 rows per second into a single table. No buffer busy waits, in fact, no problem at all.

Thank you, Oracle development.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/