Re: The Steps Taken to be a DBA

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:11:36 +0100

"Sted Alana" <Sted_Alana_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3d2a6e43_1_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> "Niall Litchfield"
> > My guess is that the most common paths are either
> >
> > development -> (optionally) analyst ->DBA
>
> I assume development is the same as a developer.
>
> What are the roles of a developer and analyst? they seem to overlap.

They do indeed overlap. In fact all 3 roles overlap. What I had in mind was a loose definition something along these lines

Developer -> Code writer. Responsible for application code. Analyst -> Design role transforms user requirements into a functional design (that the developer codes to).
DBA -> Responsible for maintaining, tuning and securing the database/application.

Of course ideally the DBA is heavily involved at the design stage (see Howards discourse on the 9i Performance Tuning course for the reasons) and in the maintaining and writing of code. Similarly the Analyst may well review the design based on actual usage patterns for later development phases etc etc.

What actually happens is often." We've bought this package, it runs on oracle, the supplier has customised it beyond belief and the performance isn't what we were promised. Please tune the database so it works properly because we're doing a demo of the system for the Board this afternoon. The documentation should be lying around here somewhere. "

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA