Re: Connect to several database

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2002 13:16:17 -0700

"Antoine GOURAUD" <agouraud_at_infovista.com> wrote in message news:<3d230906$0$24009$4d4eb98e_at_read.news.fr.uu.net>...
> Hi
> Here is our problem: we are looking for a tool (Oracle or an other one)
> allowing to get back the data resulting from some database having the same
> schema.
>
> for exemple a client will send an sql query to this tool, this tool will
> connect to more than one database and send the SQL query to those database.
> the result to the client will contain all the concatenation of the result
> for each elementary SQL Query.
>
> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
>
> Antoine

I do not know of any off the shelf product designed to do this out of the box, but here are two ways of accomplishing your task:

1- Pro*c programs can connect to multiple Oracle databases at one time so you can code a program to do this

2- Create a view that consists of a union (or union all) of the remote queries

   select sum(x) from local_tab
    union all
   slect sum(x) from remote1_tab .....

Then again you could code an ODBC program or maybe JDBC to issue the query.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 15:16:17 CDT