Re: Question on asynchronous data propagation from a local to the central oracle database

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:08:40 +1000

Hi Bhooshan,

No it's not. You can always manually configure the required links and use the various packages (DBMS_REPCAT_ADMIN, DBMS_REPCAT, DBMS_DEFER_SYS, DBMS_JOB, etc, etc) to setup and control your replicated environment.

That said, the GUI tool is a lot easier to use (in my technically deficient opinion).

Cheers

Richard

> > In article <16584988.0207020053.5219e6f7_at_posting.google.com>,
> > bhooshan.s.prabhu_at_orbitech.co.in says...
> > >
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I am in the process of evaluating various methods for propagating data
> > >from a local Oracle database to a central Oracle database. Oracle
> > >version is yet undecided but it would either be Oracle 8.1.7 (I know
> > >it gets desupported by December 2003) or Oracle 9i on Solaris m/c.
> > >
> > >The local database that I refer to, would be a database located in
> > >offices located at geographical locations that offer poor
> > >infrastructure and network bandwidths. The number of local databases
> > >could be up to 150-200.
> > >
> > >The central database shall be 1 and shall be used by users from
> > >offices that are in developed countries that offer good network
> > >bandwidths. Thus, both the central as well as the local database can
> > >be in use by different set of users at the same time.
> > >
> > >The users would be accessing both these databases over web based
> > >applications.
> > >
> > >The requirement is that the data that gets added / modified / deleted
> > >at the local database site should be propagated to the central
> > >database but, in an asynchronous mode.
> > >
> > >I have read about data replication methods provided by Oracle. I've
> > >the following queries.
> > >1. Would it be possible to replicate data off a table from a local
> > >database to
> > > the central database while the table at the central database itself
> > >might be
> > > getting its own data from users? i.e. Table A is being inserted
> > >into in the
> > > local database at site A. Oracle replication shall try and
> > >propagate the
> > > insert to central site C. At that moment, a user B might be
> > >inserting data
> > > in the table A at central site as well. Would replication work when
> > >the table
> > > at the master site would also be active? I guess yes but, need
> > >confirmation
> > > from some one..
> >
> > Yes. Otherwise multi-master replication or master-updatable snapshot
> > replication would not work.
> >

> > >2. The data from the local database needs to be available at the
> > >central site
> > > in near real-time but, not real-time. I gather that the jobs to
> > >replicate
> > > data from the local to the central database shall get executed at a
> > >certain
> > > frequency. Can this frequency be set to 1 minute? Is anyone aware
> > >of any
> > > repercussions if the frequency is kept so low?
> >
> > I tend to not go below 5 minutes because then the overhead of checking
whether
> > there are rows to move or not MAY cause a performance issue. Note the
MAY is in