Re: switching to locally managed tablespaces

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 22:07:57 +0100

"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:EjoU8.55568$vo2.3051371_at_news2.telusplanet.net...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
> > I would definitely use LMT with uniform extents.
> >
> > The only gotcha I have found is that if you decide to make the rollback
> > tablespace LMT, and I always do, you must have at least one rollback
> > segment in a dictionary managed tablespace that can be used for the
> > creation other than the SYSTEM rollback segment. As soon as one new
> > rollback segment is on-line you can drop the temporary one.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> Thanks Daniel...
>
> Is there any particular reason you'd go with uniform extents over auto
> allocation?

*My* reason would be then you avoid entirely fragmentation issues *at the extent level* in other words so long as the tablespace is not full any segment that wishes to expand can. You may however want to have several tablespaces of different extent sizes (we use 128k and 4m but others have different values that may well be be somewhat more efficient)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA