Re: create index

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 07:04:46 +1000

"zeb" <thierry.constant1_at_free.fr> wrote in message news:3d21ff29$0$468$626a54ce_at_news.free.fr...
> Hi,
>
> After creating an index,
> should I to rebuild it ?

No. Rebuilding is used to restore efficiency to an index that has degenerated over time as a result of DML activity on the underlying table. Since creating an index gets it efficient in the first place, you'd just be repeating work that's already been done.

> More generally, when should I to rebuild an Index ???

Once in a blue moon for very degenerate indexes only. Thomas Kyte says he's rebuilt an index about 10 times in his life. I think that's a bit tough, and there are grounds for rebuilding the occasional index slightly more frequently than that. But his general thrust is spot on: on the whole, leave them alone.

Regards
HJR