Re: datafiles and tempfiles

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:59:54 +1000

In article <afrrs0$uof$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, you said (and I quote):

> realise too late that NT wouldn't know a sparse file if it came up and hit
> it with a mackerel.

Sounds fishy, no? :-D

> Yet I know for sure that the Hobart NT demo was about as successful as me
> doing my "juggling three swords and a firestick whilst doing trampoline
> demonstrations" party trick. In other words, not very.
>
> Did things change between NT and W2K/XP?

Yes, they did. NTFS changed dramatically for 2K and once again for XP, although not by as much. Watch out for major differences too between XP Pro and the ".NET server"...

I don't think your delay was caused just by Oracle formatting or not. I think it has to do with how NT's version of NTFS allocates a sparse file (it MUST write all the intervening blocks, like it or not) and how 2K/XP's version of NTFS behaves in such a situation.

Don't you love the consistency of Microslop's naming? I mean, it's NTFS after all only because M$ claims so: they couldn't be more different!

Mark Minasi pointed out this differences problem ages ago in NT magazine, when 2K came out. He got immediately blasted by Microslop, of course...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Jul 02 2002 - 04:59:54 CDT