Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 15:56:29 +1000

You're missing the small fact that (presumably) 10am is in the archive logs, just as 9am was. Had it been in the current logs, you'd be well and truly up a certain creek without a certain navigational and propulsional instrument.

You've been lucky. The general case remains: backup controlfiles and redo logs *if* you wish to be able to perform a perfect repeat of the recovery.

Regards
HJR "Sean M" <smckeown_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:3D1D4910.AA7E798F_at_earthlink.net...
> [...]
> everything. Restore your datafiles from Monday's backup. Recreate your
> controlfile. Now roll forward to 9 a.m. Open resetlogs, and voila,
> happy database (Oracle automatically creates your online redos). I
> think we're in agreement up to here.
>
> Oops! You really wanted to roll forward to 10 a.m. Tuesday you say?
> OK, blow everything away again - everything. Re-restore your datafiles
> from Monday's backup. Recreate your controlfile (again). Roll forward
> to 10 a.m. this time. Open resetlogs. There - I've just repeated a 2nd
> incomplete recovery with no controlfile or redo log backup after
> stuffing up my first attempt. What am I missing? I've done exactly
> this before, and it works just fine.
>
> Regards,
> Sean M
>
> Sean M wrote:
> >
> > "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> > >
> > > We were. Recover until time 10.00am, when you were told Scott dropped
the
> > > SALES table. Open resetlogs. Bugger me.... SALES is still missing.
> > >
> > > Now repeat the incomplete recovery.
> > >
> > > You can restore the datafiles, for sure. But your control file now
thinks
> > > its time 0. Your online redo logs think likewise.
> > >
> > > IE, before the recovery, you had:
> > >
> > > Control: time M
> > > Datafiles: time M
> > > Online Redo : time M
> > >
> > > Restore the datafiles:
> > >
> > > Control: M
> > > Datafiles: F
> > > Online Redo : M
> > >
> > > Perform Recovery:
> > >
> > > Control : M
> > > Datafiles : L
> > > Online Redo : M
> > >
> > > Open resetlogs:
> > >
> > > Control : A
> > > Datafiles : A
> > > Online Redo: A
> > >
> > > Now repeatr the recovery....
> > >
> > > Control A
> > > Datafiles F
> > > Online redo A.
> > >
> > > Your control file and redo logs are from a time *before* the
datafiles.
> > > Rather worse, they are from a completely different incarnation of the
> > > database. You won't be able to repeat the recovery.
> >
> > Sure you can... just recreate the controlfile and delete the online redo
> > logs. Re-restore your datafiles, and you're off and running again.
> >
> > > However, if you've backed up the original control files and redo logs
first,
> > > then given:
> > >
> > > Control: A
> > > Datafiles: A
> > > Online Redo : A
> > >
> > > You can restore the precautionary backup, to give this:
> > >
> > > Control : M
> > > Datafiles: A
> > > Online Redo : M
> > >
> > > Now re-restore the datafiles:
> > >
> > > Control : M
> > > Datafiles: F
> > > Online Redo : M
> > >
> > > And "M-F-M" is the state we were in to perform the initial recovery.
So now