Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 05:45:01 GMT

Addendum: Lest you think I'm being daft, I'll give you a concrete example. Take a backup of a database at noon Monday. Continue transactions until noon Tuesday. Decide you want the database restored to the way it looked at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Blow away EVERYTHING you have for the current database - control files, online redo logs, datafiles - everything. Restore your datafiles from Monday's backup. Recreate your controlfile. Now roll forward to 9 a.m. Open resetlogs, and voila, happy database (Oracle automatically creates your online redos). I think we're in agreement up to here.

Oops! You really wanted to roll forward to 10 a.m. Tuesday you say? OK, blow everything away again - everything. Re-restore your datafiles from Monday's backup. Recreate your controlfile (again). Roll forward to 10 a.m. this time. Open resetlogs. There - I've just repeated a 2nd incomplete recovery with no controlfile or redo log backup after stuffing up my first attempt. What am I missing? I've done exactly this before, and it works just fine.

Regards,
Sean M