Re: whats going on

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:46:19 GMT

> IMO the best method for answering questions that seem lazy, hopeless or just
> annoy you in some way is the same as when you don't know the answer. Be
> quiet and don't respond. If you however choose to point them to the
> documentation, the FAQ, tell them to get a life, or even to actually give a
> useful answer, fair enough; but don't complain about it as if someone's
> forcing you to respond. They're not.

I used to agree with this advice but no longer do. The reason being when a question is ignored the poster doesn't know why. Sort of like asking 100 girls out on a date, having all tell you NO, and not one telling you that your breath is bad. There is value in communicating back to people the impression they make. They, of course, can choose to act on what they have learned or ignore it: That is their choice.

But if I ever post something that is just plain stupid I want to know about it. If people are offended by how I post I want to know about it. And believe me I read the feedback I get off-line carefully and adjust accordingly. So while some find my postings less than gracious ... the complimentary emails outnumber them by more than a magnitude. When that changes ... I can assure you I will too.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 15:46:19 CDT