Re: Import bug

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:40:49 GMT

Chuck wrote:

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > Apparently your procedures are relying on the unlimited tablespace
> > privilege and you didn't recreate the user with appropiate privileges.
> > Instead of sorting that out you immediately resort to gross and
> > exaggerated statements. There are millions of people that *can* work
> > with import without any problem. Doesn't that tell you anything?
>
> No but what your attitude tells me quite clearly is what a pompous ass you
> are.
>
> I didn't recreate the user at all! That's imp's job! Do *you* understand
> that? Did you read the entire post before you answered? Did you know that a
> full import creates the users as well as their objects? You seem to know
> everything I would expect you to know this Mr "Sr. DBA"
>
> The problem is that oracle is treating a full import as a normal database
> operation and not a special case when it comes to tablespace quotas. It
> should be special case. A reasonable person would expect an import of a full
> database export to restore the database to the exact same condition as when
> the export was taken. Import is not doing that in this case.
>
> Think about the other things that a full import has to treat as a special
> case and circumvent normal database retrictions before replying. Like
> database privileges for example. I as the DBA doing the import do NOT have
> the right to grant permissions on someone elses tables, but when I do a full
> import it sure as hell happens.

Your wrote: "The problem is that oracle is treating a full import as a normal database
operation and not a special case when it comes to tablespace quotas."

You are 100% correct: It is a normal database operation. It is not a special case. And you don't get quota on a tablespace just because you click your heals together or hold your breath or stomp your feet.

Sybrand 100% correct on another matter. Millions, of developers and DBAs use IMP and not once can I ever recall a single one getting their panties in a twist over this.

Quite frankly I've become weary of your little rant and your insulting behavior. Others may choose to help you now and in the future (you really didn't want any help did you ... you just wanted to whine) but I will no longer respond to you and your postings no matter how sincere unless you apologize to Sybrand for your uncalled for language. If you are looking for the problem ... try a mirror.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 15:40:49 CDT