Re: Connection to Oracle from extranet

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:59:48 +0200

cava123 wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to do this connection from home : sqlplus scott_at_test.
> test is a distributed database, net8 is configured correctly, and the
> connection is Ok when I'm in the private network but Ko when I'm at
> home.
>
> I think the Pb is a network.
> ping the server from home (Firewall Pb), then tnsping the database (how
> to open the 1521 listener port ?), then sqlplus scott_at_test.dbdomain
>
> Is there anything to do as DBA or SYSTEM Engeneer or it is just a
> firewall autorisation ?
> (I think Nothing to do as dba)
>
> Any help ?
> Yhab Abiad

The listener sits on port 1521 and gets your connection request, when autorized

(ORACLE_SID, DB_NAME, USER_NAME, PASSWORD ....) is validated for a go, the listener either spawns a new process (shadow) on unix or a new thread on Windows. This process connects back to You on a port != 1521. Check the listener.log and find your session (or any). On windows you set the USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE (system enviroment+reboot), that forces the reconnect at listener port 1521. Something similar must be possible on Unix(METALINK). Then USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE the port resolution listed in listener.log is *not* true (concerning the port numbers)!!! The new process/thread 'ses' the value USE_SHARED_SOCKET and reuses the port 1521 in spite of what the listener.log says. Try netstat or... The drawback on this is (on windows, maybe unix) that you cant stop the listener without shutting down the database. That is the case running Win2000 Server and 8.1.7.3.0. Other versions may behave differently.

rgds

/Svend
/Svend Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 12:59:48 CDT