Re: Tables with heavy activity

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:11:27 +0200

Carlos Alberto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 very small tables with heavy activity during all the day.
> Both of them have consistently a lot of INSERTīs and DELETEīs on them.
> I was wondering
> about PCTFREE, PCTUSED parameters. I think PCTFREE could be very low,
> and
> PCTUSED could be about 50/60, in order to avoid the continuous move of
> blocks
> on the free list. I was also wondering about put this tables in
> memory, is it worth?. What do you think about that?
>
> Thanks in advanced,
> Carlos

An over looked feature is the freelist, set it as best fits the number of concurrent actions on a blok.
Dont use pctfree 0, that leaves no room for groth of the header in case of many TX in the block. I think 10 (or higher) is OK. Set pctused to 0 (zero) or very low, that will avoid the block vandering in and out of the freelist all the time. Reuse of the block will only take place when emtied or near empty. That will make your table allocate more extents if initial/next is not set (very) high. Select between room/space or speed. You can't have both in this case.

rgds
/Svend Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 13:11:27 CDT