Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Joe Salmeri <JoeSalmeri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:22:55 GMT

For the same reasons that you don't want to carve your 100 GB hard drive up into 50 2 GB partitions.

If you are working with LARGE tables it is much easier to work with and manage.

I don't back up my tablespaces I back up the data they contain. I don't restore tablespaces in their entirety I would restore the objects that I need to recover.

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:afemv8$3el$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Why on Earth anyone would want files bigger than 2Gb, I can't imagine.
>
> Tablespaces should get bigger by having more files, not huge, monolithic
> entities that have to be backed up in their entirety, restored in their
> entirety, and in which all data is lost until the entire thing is restored
> and recovered.
>
> So, no, I can't add to the technical stuff you've provided. I just think
the
> original requirement is off the deep end in the first place!
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> "Knut Talman" <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message
> > Joe Salmeri wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't just blindly post requests for help until I have exhausted all
> other
> > > possibilities.
> > >
> > > I have looked, I have searched google for DAYS. I've read over 100
> > > arcticles on Oracle8i and Redhat 7.2. They all address the
installation
> > > problems but nothing about the largefile issues.
> > >
> > > I've really only found two references to >2gb tablespace issues. One
is
> for
> > > SUSE Linux which basically says it isn't supported and the other is
for
> > > Redhat Enterprise Edition which says that it supports it (that is not
an
> > > option for this client).
> >
> > Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK, Oracle 8i uses glibc
2.1.3.
> The
> > LFS interface in glibc 2.1.3 is complete - but the implementation not.
The