Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:57:30 +1000

"Joe Salmeri" <JoeSalmeri_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:zZGS8.427991$%y.30892451_at_bin4.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com...
> For the same reasons that you don't want to carve your 100 GB hard drive
up
> into 50 2 GB partitions.

Not comparable situations at all.

> If you are working with LARGE tables it is much easier to work with and
> manage.
>
> I don't back up my tablespaces I back up the data they contain.

And how, precisely, do you manage to back up the objects? Unless you are using export, which doesn't count as a physical backup, then the smallest unit of backup and restore in an Oracle database, until you get to 9i, is that data file. Big data files, big backups. Small data files, small backups extended over a longer backup cycle.

>I don't
> restore tablespaces in their entirety I would restore the objects that I
> need to recover.

You mean via import?! Yup, I can see that this is a perfect recovery strategy for "LARGE tables". Not.

HJR

> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message
> > Why on Earth anyone would want files bigger than 2Gb, I can't imagine.
> >
> > Tablespaces should get bigger by having more files, not huge, monolithic
> > entities that have to be backed up in their entirety, restored in their
> > entirety, and in which all data is lost until the entire thing is
restored
> > and recovered.
> >
> > So, no, I can't add to the technical stuff you've provided. I just think
> the
> > original requirement is off the deep end in the first place!
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > "Knut Talman" <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message

> > other

> installation

One